An impressive looking and yummy tasting Arabic sweet that is so easy to make.
1. Buy ready-made mini pancakes from a supermarket - just about every Co-op and supermarket has them during Ramadan they usually start making them fresh from 2pm onwards.
2. Make some sugar syrup - 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar add a cinnamon stick, 1 piece of clove, 2 cracked cardamom pods, pinch of saffron and boil until syrupy approx 15 mins. Add 1 tsp rose water when cooler.
3. Chop walnuts (or pistachios, and/or an assortment of nuts and some raisins too) add a 1 tsp of cinnamon powder mix, add 3 tbs honey mix well. Approx 1.5 cups of chopped nuts for 1 packet of pancakes.
4. Place a little of the nut mixture inside the pancake, fold and pinch securely closed.
5. Heat corn oil and deep fry for a few minutes, drain in a colander, dip in syrup drain in another colander.
Takes less than 25 mins to prep and make the above amount.
Sprinkle with powder sugar and top with any remaining nuts. Voila!