Sunday, April 11, 2010

Who is mummy?

Yesterday I took my six year old daughter to the Amiri Hospital as she had an inflammed elbow. Whilst we were waiting for our turn I was heartbroken to see maids comforting some children instead of their mums. One of the young kids had an IV drip in place and was hysterical, but it was the maid who comforted her and sat in the wheelchair with the child on her lap whilst the mum walked calmly behind. Another maid held a screaming small boy whilst the nurse tried to take his temperature and BP and the mother watched without a word or look of concern. You don't have to be a psychologist to know this has a profoundly confusing effect on a child. Perhaps if the mums had 3 other kids in tow, were frantically trying to call their husbands and fill out paperwork to have the child admitted (all at the same time) but sadly that was not the case.
I would be devastated if my child wanted to be comforted by the maid and not me.

8 comments:

  1. That's really, really sad. Why do they have children if they don't want to take on the responsibility?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, the examples you gave are the better ones, there are those which get sent with the driver and maid, no mummy in site!

    Between the over caring and over protective parents, and the careless kind, the up coming generation is way more disturbed than our generation..which is saying a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How rude of me... hope your kid is better!
    Sorry to have missed that in my comment (2nd).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lendmeurear and thank you for the comment. Have to agree with you. It's a tough job sometimes but it has to do be done and well. We are shaping little adult minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anon, She is very well thank you:O) I think parenting was so much easy 40+ years ago when I was a kid. My mum threw us in the back garden where I ate dirt and worms (my own choice not as a snack served by a disturbed mother)and I played in the woods and swam in streams. Mums didn't worry about nutritional value of foods, paedophiles, environmentally dangerous sewage pumped into streams, the huge debate over discipline, etc.
    Parenting is much harder now and maybe that's what happened to a certain degree, perhaps new parents have no clue what they are letting themselves in for. But absolutely no excuse for not being there for your sick and frightened child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am glad she is better, wish you both the best.

    It is harder (I presume) than ever to raise kids, also the level of maturity is very troubling, I mean you come a cross young adults that are so immature, and you know it had to do with there parenting.

    All we can do is keep an open eye, keep them close, with enough room for them to develop character, and just pray they turn out great, just like us :)

    Except my son will not like eggs Benedict cause he hates yolks...hope my daughter does

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It takes a village...." ever wonder why God brought Western mums to the Middle East?? Sometimes the best advise is by means of example. Let's all be living examples (role models) for others to immitate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does take a village let's only hope the Western examples are good ones. Unlike some of the recent horror stories in the European newspapers.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)