Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Wedding Business in Kuwait
















Not sure if this chap is the best in Kuwait (would have to check with my very knowledgable in-laws) but wanted to write a little something on Kuwaiti weddings for a while now and these pics gave me the opportunity. Usually cameras and pics would only be the property of the bride and family to preserve the modesty of the unveiled ladies at the wedding.
The ladies wedding party would be ladies unveiled and wearing from the latest TDF couture gowns to some oddities that look like they have been hacked together by a blind, one-armed tailor. There are some very daring gravity-defying dresses along with some fabulous meringue dresses in all colours. The lights are 1000 watts so the potential mother-in-laws can check out the pool of unmarried ladies for flaws or so the chandelier earring bling is able to sparkle to the max.
No gifts are given by the guests so don't bother bringing one. Put on your tiara, trust me you will not be over- dressed. You may get invited to dance with the ladies, so be warned. Or expect to sit  for about 3-4 hours waiting for the groom to arrive (all the ladies will scramble to get their abayas and scarfs when he arrives) and once pics of the two have been taken it will be time to eat at about 1AM. Top tip eat a big dinner before you go.

3 comments:

  1. Lol this description of a ladies wedding party reminds me of the one in Girls of Riyadh.
    I really enjoy reading your blog; it's well worded and gives me so much information on what's happening in Kuwait that I otherwise would not be aware of. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Purple Moonbeam, Your welcome I'm still learning myself about the Kuwaiti culture. Luckily my dear in-laws forgive me for not always getting it quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean 'you're welcome' sry was posting from my phone and it has a teeny screen.
    I hope no one takes offense or is embarrassed by my observation above. Now if I were to post about the weddings back home with the tipsy 70 yr old grandma falling over on the dance floor showing her underwear to the world (may she RIP) now that would be embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)