Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Rant!

Day before yesterday I stopped and offered an old lady a lift. She was trying to flag down cars in Yarmouk at 2pm in the blazing heat. She got in and said she wanted to go to Salmiya and asked if it was out of our way (my daughter and our housekeeper were in the car too). I said no, even though it was the opposite direction to where we were going. But it felt good to help someone out.


As I drove she chatted away, she'd worked here for 25+ years for a Kuwaiti family who were on holiday and she was off to azza (condolences given during a 3 day period when someone dies). She said the taxis are expensive and the bus route is not convenient. And then she immediately got on to religion she wanted to know if I was a Muslim because it was much better for me if I was. She, then, asked my daughter who said she was. She asked the maid who proudly said she was a Christian. Horrified look on Egyptian lady's face. The old lady didn't let up and asked my daughter if she prayed, fasted, etc. She told me that if I'm a good Muslim and pray to Allah he will grant me a son. Does this all imply that if I am not wearing hijab, not Muslim and not praying then I would not have a son? I got the impression she would have been more grateful if I'd been wearing hijab. Took her right to the door of where she wanted to go. Not quite the fuzzy, feel-good feeling I was hoping for. 


This is the third time in a week that my daughter has been quizzed on her, and her mother's piousness. Just the other day she was asked if she and her mother prayed by her Kuwaiti friends and their parents at their home. I found this an odd question to an 8 year old. And if I don't pray 5 times a day does this make my child a social pariah?


I was telling someone of my fabulous daughter's voluntary work with the disabled kids and how she is learning to play guitar and they said "Ahh, is she praying?"


Listen well...I will be judged and rewarded on my good deeds and so will you. Of that, I am sure. Especially to the hijabed lady who once flipped me the bird when I tooted my horn at her for cutting me up on the road.

And...


Yesterday, I was returning an item to Ikea. The assistant asked me to have a seat until he checked with the supervisor if they can exchange an item. I sat and waited for about 12-15 mins. Then the assistant called me over, as I approached him a woman stepped in front of me and told him she needed to return something. He politely told her that I was first and he would be with her in a minute. She launched into him saying that she was first and he should serve her first. He told the woman that I had been waiting sometime. Again she said she was first and he should serve her and not me. The assistant attended to my item exchange. Now all this was going on in front of me in English. Followed by mutterings in a Kuwaiti dialect. Of course, I didn't remain silent. And I told her I had been waiting patiently for over 12 mins. To which she replied "I'm not talking to you, go back to America." WHAT! "Well I'm English and I'm not going anywhere. How rude!"


Along with abayed women barging into us whilst walking into the mall, general disdain from 99% of the female employees at a ministry complex, frequent comments, and the staring.


Reasons, perhaps, why more Kuwaiti men are marrying foreign women is that 'some' of the Kuwaiti women are so full of self-importance. It is ugly, very unladylike and downright narsissistic.


Time for a holiday me thinks.


Usually, I try to ignore all this but there is always the last straw on the camel's back. It is not about religion or east and west, it is about social etiquette and humanity.




















23 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm there with you sister. I think this is going to be one hot, mean Ramadan and I'm looking forward to NOT being here.

    I specifically DON'T tell people that I'm Muslim for reasons that you have listed above. Nobody business but me and The Big Man.

    I love the "Go back to America!" I always follow it with "YOU go back to Hasawi!" (not very nice area in Jleeb.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen..LOL DG will remember that one. Bless you. Have a great summer holiday, doll x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LWDLIK, Sorry to hear what you had to go through...Time and again, we come across some insensitive, uncaring people, who totally lack social etiquette. Makes me wonder, is it such a horrendous task for some people to be humane?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kuweight 64, thank you honey. It's ok I'm a tough old bird. My gorgeous blonde Maserati driving friend has a much worse time than me. We just have a good laugh at it's inaneness. And take lots of holidays :OD I thought that the more religious one is the more considerate, kind, compassionate and caring; but it's not always the case, obviously. I think the House of Saud documentary has also helped me realise their mistrust of the west. At the end of the day we are all God's children and need to tolerate, respect each other and live in peace together

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 19, 2011

    Yes, it is definitely time for a vacation!!! :-)))
    Yup, there are a lot of busybodies around here and sometimes you meet them overtime or sometimes they just come out of no where and seem to bombard you:-))))

    Just vent, scream and move on:-)))
    that's what i do anyways and ya, lots of vacations!!! It's refreshing to get away from the circus!

    Many Kuwaiti ladies are getting pissed off with their men folk marrying foreigners and so many times when they see a mixed marriage, they are wondering?.... What has she got that I don't? :-))))

    Well for starters................ :-))))))))))))))

    Run Kuwaiti Men Run!!!! :-))) I've heard many tales from Kuwaiti men who tell me , Please, I just don't want to marry a Kuwaiti woman! I'm scared!!!! :-))) heh,heh..... of course there are lots of nice lovely Kuwaiti single women out there but it's the ones that people negatively talk about, or the "outliers" that scare the heck out of everyone!!!

    A good tale nonetheless...... wishing you a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon, thanks sweety.

    Yes, there really are lots of lovely Kuwaiti ladies out there. My Kuwaiti in-laws are very refined ladies they make me look like a lumberjack. They are great mothers, wives and human beings.

    They also notice the decline in social graces here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 19, 2011

    Am sure some one is being told to go back to Arabia all over the world...point is, most people are bad, like a smart man told you once :)

    Politics and religion, people who discuss those issues the most, are usually the most troubled, my observation anyways.

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL EB no still don't believe they are all bad. Yes you are right most everywhere people are xenophobic so little old me better suck it up and get on with life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 19, 2011

    I like your ranting!!!...frankly, most of the locals are very rude! If they can treat you white people like that, imagine how else can she treat someone from other ethnicity. I am not sure if that trait or their lack of patience (usually!) has something to do with their religion or parental upbringing...:-(

    -KMU-

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    Gosh Im so sorry about that. As a kuwaiti and a muslim, they annoy the hell out of us too! There self righteousness is kinda ridiculous and yet ironic. They are so far from religion its comical but so ignorant that they dont even realize!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi KMU, thanks for your comment. Yes seems a racial/bad parenting problem. Have a look at the narsissistic disorder it's spot on ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Anon, aaawww appreciate the apology and I truly know there are many wonderful Kuwaitis and Muslims out there.

    Loved that your response was articulate, intelligent and honest.

    There are small-minded bigots in every society just so happens I live here and so I complained about the ones I see here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    The funniest/saddest of Kuwait ladies, are the ones that drive with there maids in the back seat, while the passenger seat is empty!

    The contrasts between the numerous human varieties that live in Kuwait, is what makes Kuwait the best place to live in, and that is why it has some of the best and not so good people.

    EB

    Bad people = lack ability to be rational.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahmed MotayedJuly 20, 2011

    Sorry to heard that & 100% agree with you, most of them are rude. Few months ago we went for our regular bike riding at early morning on Friday,we just want to cross the road but car was coming & going, we just waited suddenly one car stopped for us pass the road, he was Arab man, then we talked with our friends Kuwait's people are changing, but one of our friend said its not enough need more & more people to change this country. I thought he was right, isn't?

    I really like DG's comment "I love the "Go back to America!" I always follow it with "YOU go back to Hasawi!" (not very nice area in Jleeb.)" ha.. ha..

    ReplyDelete
  15. expatozziegalJuly 20, 2011

    Agree completely with your experience, happens to me all the time. Will remember the "Hasawi" retort next time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi EB, well there's the difference ;0) my maid rides up front (if the seat's unoccupied) because it's cooler.

    My Nepalese nanny, just after last Eid, accompanied my daughter to a friend's house. The grandfather came and asked if she was my daughter's nanny, she said yes and then he took his wallet out of his pocket. He asked if she was Muslim and he started to take some money from his wallet. Our nanny said no. He asked if she was Christian. She said she wasn't. He asked what religion she was, she replied she was Buddhist. He put the money back in his wallet.

    I think his intentions were to give her some Eidiya. But, alas, she didn't qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ahmed and expatozziegal, we'll all be using that brilliant retort again LOL.

    My hubby says just tell them they are not 'real' Kuwaitis but that's far too polite. You can tell he was brought up well! Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    Your post reminds me of one time in the Sultan Center, several years ago, when I was with my two friends Joy and Mar. Both ladies are larger than life and certainly enjoy their food. Mar has lived in Kuwait for 30 years and had a Kuwaiti husband and thus was fluent in Kuwaiti dialect. Two Kuwaiti ladies approached close to us and one lady who was covered completely (ninja style) turned to her companion and said in Kuwaiti, "if you don't start taking care of what you eat, you will end up looking like those two"! Quick as a flash, Mar turned on the Ninja immediately and screamed at her in Kuwaiti "well I may be a bit overweight, but you obviously are so f**king ugly, that you have to cover your face in public in case you might frighten someone!" Well, you wouldn't believe the shock on those two old birds' faces when Mar finished her rant. We all walked off down the aisle laughing our heads off whilst the two Kuwaiti ladies spluttered and shook with shock and indignation! Serves them right for assuming that all Westerners don't understand what they say about us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousJuly 21, 2011

    LWDLIK, I truly enjoy reading your blog and find it a breath of fresh air in this summer heat! But I must say, as a Kuwaiti Muslim woman, I was quite bothered when I read this post :( I am in no way defending what this lady did, it was disrespectful and unnecessary... but it does not reflect on Kuwaiti or Muslim women. Yes, they do give us a bad reputation with regards to mannerism, but I can easily tell you that I have been "treated" the same way in many other countries given that I was polite and nice to those people. This behavior does nothing but reflect on that persons upbringing, and lets be honest, parents EVERYWHERE in the world are slacking off in that department!

    I hope you don't misunderstand my post, its just that I love my fellow Kuwaiti women, and I pray for them daily to stop being negative and enjoy their lives :)

    Wishing you a great summer, and a blessed Ramadan :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Anon, thanks for your comment.

    Firstly, I'm delighted that Kuwaitis read the blog. And secondly, you are absolutely right life is not always peachy wherever we live. I, for one, am thoroughly ashamed of our racist, miserable bunch of unemployed louts back in the UK.

    No misunderstandings :O*

    I love Kuwait and Kuwaitis. Just not all of them. I had initially started the blog to promote Kuwait, Kuwaiti acheivements and the fun stuff going on here. It would be naive for me not to mention the unpleasantries too. But I do so hoping for change and a better Kuwait for all.

    Without acknowledging the problems it's impossible to address them.

    Wishing you a great summer too and a Ramadan kareem.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anon (Sultan Center show-down), that's a classic. For sure those females learned their lesson. Makes me want to learn better Kuwaiti dialect ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJuly 25, 2011

    It is unfortunate but true that every country all over the world has people in it that have a chip on their shoulder about something or other, most are jealous or just plain old bitter !! I will keep being the polite & nice person I think I am like my very wonderful sister who's blog this is, I would like to say she is one of the most kind and generous people in my life. And I look up to her in a major way. I hope I am also doing a good job bringing my awesome son up to be kind & caring, he is only 4 but just this morning there was a little altercation in the playground & a little friend hit my son in the face with his hat & my son stood & said it is ok you didn't hurt me don't worry.Made me burst with pride that he is such a sweet natured boy. I am trying to teach him right from wrong so he will grow into a good person & surely that is what every parent should do. Forget where you came from, how much money you have or do not have & what religion you are. Kindness costs nothing !! Sasper x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dearest Sasperella, I do love you. Just had a big time kleenex moment reading about Finley. He is a great kid and a lucky boy to have such a fab mummy xx

    Too true babygirl, kindness costs nothing but gives big returns.

    We can't wait to see you all xxx

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)