Monday, December 24, 2012

RIP Dr Jaber Samir Yousif


My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. He was in the prime of his life only to have it cruelly taken by thugs at Avenues Mall. Some people were very disturbed by the horrifically graphic photo on the front page of the Arab Times but we must, sometimes, be shocked into realism. And the realism is that there are many underlying problems in the country that must no longer be ignored.

The main suspect, who has been arrested, is a young 22 year old Bedoon man who allegedly stabbed the victim several times.

Very sad indeed. 

Am I the only one who sees an alarming increase in serious crime here? I mean, we all say it's safe here but there really are areas that I would NEVER drive in, I would NEVER get in to an argument with these young irritating youths who roam around causing damage and creating a sense of terror among the Asian workers (okay I have done this but I really try not to). Even yelling back at the mad women drivers is a no-no  (I do this a little bit too but really shouldn't) because they are likely to call up there nasty brothers to smack you around a bit or smash up your car. 

No, I don't feel so safe anymore. But I do feel a sense of lawlessness, helplessness and frustration. 

5 comments:

  1. I had been shouted at and argued by a man in clinic, and he would not leave the room! when I managed to leave the room and sat in an empty room corner, i could hear him around in the corridors saying 'where is she! where is she!' like he was planning to get into a fight even more! There was no security in this clinic, and i honestly wonder if i had stayed longer and involved myself in further verbal shouting, would he have pushed or touched me??? and to top it, his wife was just standing outside not embarassred, just watching calmly like nothing was happening.

    would he accept his wife to be shouted upon by a complete stranger??? just because he had no patience to wait for the next patient to leave????

    I felt so shaken that i was put in a very vulnerable position, it was just me and this man, I couldn't finish my shift that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is outrageous that there is such lack of follow-up, arrests and punishment for this behaviour - which only causes an increase with such impunity.

      Delete
    2. I'm mad, sad and sorry to hear you had to endure such horrendous behaviour from this nasty creature. Please do not try to understand them - we can not - it is no reflection on you or your efforts to provide health care. So full of self-importance, so arrogant and so irreligious.

      Delete
  2. It is very sad...but whether we care to admit it or not..stuff like this happens daily if we read the small print in the local papers...so this isn't new...it's only in this case where it happened infront of witnesses at the Avenues rather than the more common "middle of the desert"...or places like Jahra, Selaibiya or Sabah El Nasser....If they could just have a survey of 5000 people and ask them..."what ticks you off?"...maybe we'll understand where all this anger is coming from...why is the ego so sensitive that the smallest situation can raise their blood pressure so high creating a monster..and we have to face those monster with the fight or flight response causing a constant adrenaline rush that is exhausting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is imperative to get to the root of why crime is on the rise and try to deal with it. Agree very exhausting.

      Delete

Always great to hear from you :O)