Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ahhh! American Girl .. $580 Please, Eeeek!


















One of our destinations whilst in New York was the American Girl store on 5th Avenue & 49th street. A friend had said I 'must' take my babygirl. Babygirl was pretty keen too. She had her money ($300) she'd saved and was all ready to spend some at American Girl on a look-a-like doll and an outfit or two for them both. Seemed simple enough.

We got there at 11am (ish) and I asked my husband if he would prefer to go to an electronic shop rather than stay with us. He asked how long we'd need I answered an hour tops. We left at 3.45pm.

Firstly the buying of the look-a-like doll ($100), followed by finding matching outfits ($200+) whilst your kid, who has lost her mind in all the excitement, darts a hundred times around the outfits unable to decide. Once decided we need to re-decide as doll's outfit was not completely available or child's outfit not available. Takes 1 hour plus on ground floor, there are two other floors to go.

























We went upstairs where they have a hair salon, spa and a hospital for the dolls. There was a huge queue for the salon and a board showing all the hair dos. Few less than $20. They had blow-outs, plaits, up dos, you name it dos. Now managed to talk her out of getting a hair do for the doll but gave in to the ear piercing with an extra 4 pairs for $14. As we queued for almost an hour to get the ears pierced I chatted with other mums and grans who were as mad (as in 'as a hatter') as I am. I actually started rationalising that if your kid has had a doll a long time and your kid has turned it's hair into a brillo pad then why not bring it for a blow out (not sure what they were using on the dolls but they looked magnificent when the hairdresser had finished with them).





























My husband, whose job it was to take things to the cashier and pay for them, was loving every minute. I found this strange but as I looked around I noticed a few other dads also wallowing in the happiness of their little princesses. Of course on each floor more accessories and outfits for dollies. We ended up with the sunglasses, bathing suit and beach towel ensemble. There was the matching PJs and booty slippers. Two matching daytime outfits. A carrying bag for the doll. A seat for the doll to sit on babygirl's roll-on suitcase for travelling.  Hair brush, rollers, hair clips, setting lotion. Like I say, mad as hatters.

It was 2pm and were getting hungry. We headed to the restaurant where there was a huge queue. We spoke to the receptionist as we wanted to book a table for the 2.30pm lunch. To our horror we were told it was all booked up months ago. Not being one to queue or give in easily I asked if they could put us on the standby list for the 2.30pm lunch. We made a mad dash to Gap to buy matching leggings for babygirl to twin up with Olivia (our new addition to the family). Ran all the way back, got to the restaurant at 2.40pm to be told we had a table. Woohoo! After a quick change in the loos for Olivia and babygirl they were ready for lunch. $24++ per person , doll eats free.





















Olivia had her own chair fixed onto the table and a little cup and saucer (I think she had chamomile tea she was a little traumatised after having her ears pierced ;o). Babygirl was fussing over her new friend and grinning from ear to ear. A moment that you want to freeze and make last forever. It was so cute watching all the little girls with their dolls, parents and friends having the time of their lives. Top tip; book ahead [link]. Check out any events that may be going on at the store ie. cookie decorating, theatre trips, storytime, decorating Halloween houses, etc.





















Doll holder found in each toilet cubicle and by the hand dryer so the girls can hang there dolls whilst using the little girls' room facilities.


Ok, now I fell really daft telling people how much we spent but honest you just get carried away. In my defense we did skip the photo studio and I did like the big metal dental retainer for the doll but decided that may be going a little too far :O)  

5 comments:

  1. Dollar for dollar, sounded like your girl had way more fun than lets say a week at Disney, which is way way way more than 600$... so more smart than daft...dollar wise :)

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you EB for not ridiculing me LOL. I totally agree it was money well spent. We are far from being rich but my husband is onboard with making great family memories for us all to cherish. We were certainly a lot poorer when we left AG LOL. It was a great day and seeing the other parents and the new AG stores opening all over the states many agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never said it was well spent, who am I to define that!? I said it is wise money relative to a week in Disney

    You got those who think 600$ spent in any amusement park trip beat :) again dollar wise.

    Money well spent on the other hand, is subjective. I do have an opinion on that, but who doesn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah I love this :) I am a mom to a little girl and pregnant with another girl now, and here I am wishing I was with you during that trip :)

    I wouldn't blame you on the money spent. I would have loved you for life if I had been your daughter on that trip....my girl is too small to appreciate Am Girl Dolls, but I wish we could take her there someday.....some will say I am too old, but I say my heart really hasn't grown up, so yes, take me to an Amgirl store soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anon, that's part of the fun of being a mum - you get to be a kid again with them :OD Wouldn't be surprised if one opens near here soon, maybe Dubai? Get saving LOL :OD

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)