Kuwaiti security authorities have busted an international cell led by a Lebanese man that was sending air defense systems and funds to the Islamic State group, the Interior Ministry said yesterday. The cell’s chief, who was not named, confessed that he raised funds and provided logistical support for the group, which has carried out deadly attacks in Lebanon and France in the past week, the ministry said. He acted as coordinator for the Islamic State in Kuwait and arranged arms deals and FN6 portable air defense systems from Ukraine, which were shipped to IS in Syria through Turkey
. The ministry did not provide details about the size of the arms deals. Besides the Lebanese mastermind, authorities arrested three Syrians, an Egyptian and a Kuwaiti and said four others were outside Kuwait-two Syrians and two Australians of Lebanese origin. Several suspected IS members and sympathizers were tried in the Gulf emirate for a suicide bombing in June claimed by the group.
A court sentenced seven men to death and jailed eight others to between two and 15 years for assisting the Saudi bomber. An appeals court is to issue its verdict in the case on December 13. Earlier this month, the lower court sentenced five men to 10 years in jail each for raising funds for IS. They were charged with raising about 400,000 Kuwaiti dinars ($1.3 million) and sending it to IS, which has seized control of large parts of Syria and Iraq and carried out attacks throughout the Middle East. Over the past year, Kuwaiti courts have issued several rulings against IS supporters. — AFP