Monday, January 24, 2011

To Place Ads or Not!

I have decided that this is a blogmag not sure if the term exists but that's what it seems to be.
It is a free social service for expats and anyone else to find out info on local events, entertainment, restaurant reviews, shopping, Kuwaiti culture, chit-chat, and generally help people feel connected and part of the community. It's been a great pastime for a while. Even though posting, blogging, uploading, downloading on some days can be very, v-e-r-y slow and downright blinking frustrating. And now there are many up and coming English blogs. So I suppose the question is whether to carry on and try to make it worthwhile or find another hobby?

My dilemma, today, is should I place ads? How do I place them here? Will anyone advertise here? Would an iPhone application be the next step? I may just be talking to myself here as I know I have approx 700 views per day but not so many comments- If that's due to technicalities "sorry :OD"  seems you just have to be persistent with the comment process they do post just don't give up on the first try :OD It really is great to get comments they at least make me feel that people are reading the blogmag. (Not sure about my new word it's starting to irritate me already :O) How about blag?

Have just spoken to a very nice man called Saleem at DartMedia to see how I can place ads on here to generate some income. Trouble with that is I'm very picky and don't want the 'Find-a-girl' ads or the other odd ads that get automatically placed on your website if you sign up for ads with Google. Nice man at DartMedia seems to think I would be better off having an Arabic interface (which means an Arabic version of LWDLIK ..Hmmmm..) My first concern would be how it would translate and would my posts be of interest to the non-English speaking community even if they are in Arabic? The whole idea of me starting this blog in English was because there was so little info out there for us, never thought it would appeal to Arabic speakers.

Have also introduced a simple rating system which will give me an idea which posts you like and which you don't.

Whaddya think?

Ps. Thank you very nice man at DartMedia for the compliment on the blog and your surprise to know I do it all myself. Pat on my back :O)


18 comments:

  1. Hi...I love your blog..i havent posted any comments earlier and thats bcoz i didn think there was any need too...the fact that you put your time and effort into updating the blog/mag (LOL)is just brilliant!!!I have lived in Kuwait all my life and never as much realised there are lots of things to do though i was never bored...Thank you soo much for making the effort to find out the happenings and update them...for all those people who keep complaining that there is nothing to do in Kuwait or that Kuwait is boring...should seriously check out your blog...Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ya, i'm into free with the renowned LWDLIK

    Pope Joan Movie Showing
    Was there ever a woman Pope in the Roman Catholic church? This recent movie, based on a bestseller from Donna Cross, tells the fictionalized story of Pope Joan. A fascinating period drama outlining life in 9th century Europe, the role of women in the church, with implications for us today. Saturday 5 February 5 p.m. at Better Books and Cafe. Free refreshments and discussion afterward. Email betterbookskuwait@hotmail.com for directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anon # 1 Ahhhh! Thank you very much for the comment. Feel the same way I, too, now know there is plenty to do here.
    @ Anon # 2 LOL me too love free :OD You do a great job for the community with that free movie, coffee and company is way cool..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in Kuwait 1 week just arrived fron Dubai but discovered this just before arriving. The job you have done is truly amazing. PLEASE keep up the good work.I check it out every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we even serve tea for you brits....
    you don't have to publish this
    please don't
    but
    i must admit i actually lived in LEEDS for 2 years

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Just arrived- Thank you. I've had a lovely dose of feelgood today, so will get back to keeping you all as well informed as I possibly can.
    @ Tea for the Brits- LOL very kind of you. Would love to come along one of these days for a cuppa, movie, chat and books :OD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am offended

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ EB- You are an exceptional commenter, thank you :OD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I arrived first of November from Switzerland and am using this blog regularey to see about any new concert in town, how else would you know what is going on!!
    This is the best Kuwaiti blog when it comes to things going on in town.
    I took up sailing with KOSA in Fahaheel, we sail every Tuesday evening, race every second Friday and you can take sailing lessons on Friday and Saturdays, anybody interested please contact sail-kosa@live.com and ask for infos.
    See you all on the water.. Philip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Philip,
    Thanks for the compliment and the info. I'm certainly recharged now. The sailing sounds like a lot of fun. Will try to get some more details and blog it for others to see. The sea here is so beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your blog every day and love it! Its a great way to find out what's happening in Kuwait. I trawl back through previous months to read up on things of interest to me ( bit like a library) so please don't stop? You are providing an invaluable service to all we new comers. Thank you L.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh L thank you. Have to say it's become my own little reference book too and all in one place not newspaper clippings and scribbles on kleenex boxes. Will certainly carry on, was just a lot of blogs coming up and not really sure what the feedback/opinions of this blog were. So I'm feeling like I'm on the right track now. Much appreciated K xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. as single working mum, dont have time to comment, just check it out and attend (if the event involves children) So thank you for organizing all in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Single Working Mum - :OD Welcome, happy to help out a little at least.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello, first time to comment and love the blog. we religiously check in for ideas on what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello First Time To Comment, Thank you and hope it won't be the last. It's so nice to have company on here.
    I had thought my buddies would blog with me hence one of the reasons for the name. That hasn't happened yet but who knows maybe one of these days I'll get a little something from them :O) Funny they are ALL so opinionated usually LOL ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. As many have mentioned previously, this is also my first time to comment. Thank you so very much for taking the time to not only post information and keep us updated, but for doing it so well..it is obviously something that you take your time in and give it much thought. Your website is truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear As Many Have Mentioned, Thank you very much. It's therapy and a passionate hobby now. Does take time and gets mighty frustrating often. But having had all these wonderful comments and knowing that there really is an audience will keep me going for a long while.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)